“Must be rough – shopping for a living,” the woman behind the counter at the post office said to me the other day. What could I say? It’s a dream come true. When I tell my boss I’ll be at the mall, she nods approvingly.

As shopping columnist for the St. Paul Pioneer Press, I pride myself on staying on top of the ever-changing Twin Cities retail scene. New stores, cool trends, hot concepts. I’m constantly impressed by the many enterprising people in town who are willing to take a risk and open a store to bring us more clever stuff to ogle. I write about such shops and products in the Pioneer Press every week.

And then the information disappears with the recyclables.
   I’ve long thought it would be great to have an online resource at my fingertips to help me find the newest shops, to remind of the boutique names I can’t recall, to steer me to the best shopping within a particular town or product category. There are a million websites that tell you what to buy, but first things first: you’ve got to know where to shop.
   So I created a website that will do all that – without any influence from retailers. What’s the use of a guide that says every store is wonderful? I’m not out to slam anyone (mother always told me: if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all), but I am hoping to provide some color, so you’ll know whether each store listed is your kind of shop.
   I hope you’ll find this guide useful, and I hope it leads to new discoveries – because shopping is all about the hunt.

Get Email Updates
Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon
For Email Marketing you can trust

10 Responses to “I’m a shopper, not a blogger, but here goes…”

1. Twin Cities, Minnesota says:

New Twin Cities Shopping Guide

The Twin Cities has a new online shopping guide. AliShops.com is the Insider’s guide to Twin Cities shopping, by Pioneer Press shopping columnist, Allison Kaplan.

2. Internet Marketing Blog says:

AliShops.com: New Twin Cities Shopping Web Site Launch

AliShops.com is a new Twin Cities guide to neighborhood stores and shops by Pioneer Press shopping columnist, Allison Kaplan.

3. Kristen says:

I LOVE this concept and am looking forward to using this site to help me explore the unique shopping opportunities in the Twin Cities. Plus, the site is easy to use and really cute. Thanks for putting this together, Ali!

4. ELIZABETH says:

THIS SITE LOOKS AWESOME!

5. Betty says:

This is a sad thing for downtown but great for the Galleria. I live in Edina and I always hated going downtown to see my favorite team at STYLEDLIFE. Congrates to STYLEDLIFE

6. Renee says:

I work in the Dain Plaza and I have seen a shift ever since September of 2008 with downtown and the shopping downtown. I love the downtown shopping experience and I am sad that it has changed. Seeing STYLEDLIFE leave makes me realize the future is not bright for downtown retail.

7. Nexium and alcohol at pharmacy news page. says:

Nexium.

Buy nexium on line. Nexium pharmacy coupons. Coming off nexium. Generic nexium. Nexium.

8. Zolpidem. says:

Cheap zolpidem.

Cheap zolpidem. Zolpidem fedex. Zolpidem. Zolpidem ambien.

9. How long can you take zoloft. says:

Zoloft side effects with alchohol.

Zoloft. Is zoloft good stuff. Effects of zoloft. Herbs compared to zoloft. Illegal uses for concerta adderall zoloft.

10. Ron Kolb says:

It’s snowing on icy roads. Freeways are closed. It’s 9:45 AM. I’ve not yet turned on the store spot lights or taken the good stuff out of the vault. I have pinned on my Winter Carnival Button and am considering the true meaning of “the coolest celebration on earth,” when in walks Allison Kaplan unannounced and unexpected. I guess I couldn’t hide my new St. Paul store, St. Clair & Snelling Jewelers, forever.